Free Bite Size Bike Fix courses
Free Bite Size Bike Fix courses are now available as part of Freewheeling in Merseyside and Warringtons - pick and choose what to learn or even book multiple courses to build up your skills over a number of courses, see links below for locations and dates.
Course 1 Safety check, clean and lubricate
- Check your bike to find out what needs adjusting and tighten some nuts and bolts on the way
- How tight is tight?
- Are you sitting comfortably? Make sure your saddle is at the correct height
- I’ll name that part in one - what are the bits on your bike called
- Identify that scraping sound
- Keeping it clean - learn how to keep your bike clean and correctly lubricated
- Under pressure - how to make sure that your tyres are correctly inflated
Course 2 Wheel, tyre and tube removal. Mending a puncture
- Rear wheel removal
- Quick release skewers and how they work
- Feeling tyred? How to get that tyre off and on again
- What caused it? How to find out how you got the puncture
- Mending a puncture
- Refitting the wheel
Course 3 Brake adjustment cables and blocks
- Stop in the name of love
- Why aren’t those brakes working?
- Cleaning and lubricating cables
- Indentifying your brakes and buying the right parts.
- Changing a brake cable
- Changing brake blocks
- Setting up your brakes correctly
Course 4 Gear adjustment
- How a derailleur works
- What do those little screws do?
- Setting up gears
- Checking compatibility
- Changing a gear cable
- Gear hangers
To be eligible for FREE training sessions you need to live, work or study in one of these areas and be aged over 16.
City & Guilds
All of our mechanics are Cytech or City & Guilds qualified.
We use professional Park Tools during all of our maintenance courses and BikeRight! are an official Park Tool School.