Basic and Intermediate bike maintenance courses
Book as separate one day courses or book both and get a discount!
Day 1 Basic is very much designed for beginners who have little or no knowledge about bicycle maintenance. We run this for a full day as we believe that any less time would simply not be enough to cover everything in detail or allow the learning to be retained.
The second day covers more advanced stuff and together they make a great course that will cover most aspects of bike maintenance.
- Learn the correct names for the parts of a bike
- Learn about tyre pressure and wheel sizes
- Remove and replace your wheels correctly
- Remove and replace tyres without causing a puncture
- Fit a new inner tube
- Mend a puncture
- How to tell if your brake blocks need replacing
- Learn how to replace your brake blocks to achieve maximum wear and braking power
- Learn how to clean and re lubricate brake cables
- Learn how to fit a new brake inner cable
- Outer brake cable inspection and whether to replace
- Identify different cables
- How to break and rejoin a chain correctly
- How to eliminate stiff links
- How to lubricate chains
- When and why does a chain need changing
- Lubricate gear cables
- Learn how to change your gear cables
- Discover how a rear derailleur works
- Set up your gears and if they won’t set up, learn why
We will also talk about cleaning and lubrication of bikes, making small adjustments to adapt bikes for a perfect fit and wider maintenance and cycling issues – plus whatever comes up on the day over a brew!
Either session can be booked as a stand alone one day course or book both days to get a discount.
£130 inc VAT per person for both days
£70 inc VAT per person if booking one day only
Course runs from 10am to 4pm both days at our workshop in Manchester
“Mary explained and supported us, making bike maintenance look like poetry. Instead of an enemy my bike is now a close friend. The war with my bike is now over”
"Excellent teacher, very thorough, would love to come back."
"Brilliant course, feel much more confident and has made me want to learn more."
“An enjoyable and hopefully useful course. Hope I can pass on my new-found skills to local young people.”
Park Tool School
We use professional Park Tools during all of our maintenance courses and BikeRight! are an official Park Tool School.
All of our bicycle maintenance courses are endorsed by the UK's leading bicycle manufacture, Raleigh.
If you don’t see what you need here, we offer bespoke group courses to meet every cyclists needs. Get in touch soon to discuss it with an instructor - we have a wealth of bike maintenance experience just waiting to be tapped! Bespoke courses can be tailored to your needs and delivered here in Manchester or at a location convenient to you.
A week before the basic/intermediate bike maintenance course, we will give you a link to our homework page which contains some background info that you will find useful on the course. It also has a list of recommended tools that you need to keep your bike tip top.
Unless otherwise stated all bike maintenance courses take place from our training centre just around the corner from Man City football ground in East Manchester.
Map and directions
Google map link and directions can be found by clicking here