Bite Size Bike Fix courses in the West Midlands
Bite Size Bike Fix courses now available as an evening alternative to our one day maintenance courses - pick and choose what to learn or even book multiple courses to build up your skills over a number of courses.
Courses cost £40 per person, you do not need to attend all four courses, you can pick and choose which you wish to do.
The safety checks & punctures courses cover the same topics as the Basic one day course.
Brakes and Gears cover the same topics as the Intermediate one day course.
Course 1 Safety check, clean and lubricate
- Check your bike to find out what needs adjusting and tighten some nuts and bolts on the way
- How tight is tight?
- Are you sitting comfortably? Make sure your saddle is at the correct height
- I’ll name that part in one - what are the bits on your bike called
- Identify that scraping sound
- Keeping it clean - learn how to keep your bike clean and correctly lubricated
- Under pressure - how to make sure that your tyres are correctly inflated
Course 2 Wheel, tyre and tube removal. Mending a puncture
- Rear wheel removal
- Quick release skewers and how they work
- Feeling tyred? How to get that tyre off and on again
- What caused it? How to find out how you got the puncture
- Mending a puncture
- Refitting the wheel
Course 3 Brake adjustment cables and blocks
- Stop in the name of love
- Why aren’t those brakes working?
- Cleaning and lubricating cables
- Indentifying your brakes and buying the right parts.
- Changing a brake cable
- Changing brake blocks
- Setting up your brakes correctly
- Please note we cannot teach you about hydraulic disc brakes, drum brakes or gyro brakes
Course 4 Gear adjustment
- How a derailleur works
- What do those little screws do?
- Setting up gears
- Checking compatibility
- Changing a gear cable
- Gear hangers
- Please note we cannot teach you about hub gears
Big Birmingham Bikes?
If you are coming on a course as part of getting your free bike from Big Birmingham Bikes, you must select 'other' in the 'How did you hear about us?' dropdown list and enter BBB and your leisure card number into the info box provided on the booking form.
Unit 5, Birmingham One Business Park
Clement Street, Birmingham B1 2SL
| || |
Solihull Fire Station
Engine Room, Streetsbrook Road
Solihull B91 1QY
The Black Country
Merridale Fire Station
Wolverhampton WV3 0RG
| || |
Palfrey Sure Start Centre
25 South Street
Walsall, WS1 4HE
Brierley Hill Rd
Stourbridge, DY8 5SP
|Coventry || |
Koco Community Resource Centre
15 The Arches, Spon End
Coventry CV1 3JQ
City & Guilds
All of our mechanics are Cytech or City & Guilds qualified.
We use professional Park Tools during all of our maintenance courses and BikeRight! are an official Park Tool School.
Birmingham office contact details:
If you experience any problems booking a course or want more information about our services please contact us.
Birmingham One Business Park
Tel 0121 200 2266