Driver Training definitions and links to further information


SUD - Safe Urban Driving

The Safe Urban Driving course focuses on vulnerable road users, including cyclists and was the first accredited course in the UK to include practical on-road cycle training for drivers.

Vulnerable roads users include pedestrians and in particular children and the elderly, who can either dash into the road unexpectedly or have difficulty hearing or seeing traffic or have mobility issues. Motorcyclists and cyclists are also very vulnerable and are most at risk at junctions, as they can be difficult to see.

VRU – Vulnerable Road User

Vulnerable road user means pedestrian, cyclist, motorcyclist and horse-rider. It refers to anyone using roads without a vehicle around them offering protection. If someone in a vehicle is in a collision, they have the frame of the vehicle, and often other features such as airbags and crumple zones, to help absorb the force of the crash and provide protection. If a vulnerable road user is in a collision, they are exposed to the full force of the impact. Because of the vulnerability of these road users, drivers should do everything they can to ensure they are not putting them in danger.

WRRR – Work Related Road Risk

Managing Work Related Road Risk (WRRR) reduces the risk of collisions between commercial vehicles and vulnerable road users, such as pedestrians and cyclists.

TfL developed WRRR requirements to help manage road risk throughout supply chains. Under WRRR, operators must be able to demonstrate they:

  • Meet best practice standards such as Bronze Fleet Operator Recognition Scheme
  • Vehicles are fitted with proximity warning systems, Class VI mirrors and rear warning signs
  • Drivers are trained in approved safe urban driving
  • Drivers' licences are all checked regularly with the DVLA
  • Report and analyse collisions

CPC – Certificate of Professional Competence

To become a lorry, bus or coach driver you need to 

  • have a full car licence
  • be over 18 for lorries, or 24 for buses and coaches 
  • get a professional driving qualification called the Driver Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC)

You must have the full Driver CPC if you drive a lorry, bus or coach as the main part of your job. You need to pass 4 tests to get it.

To get and keep the full Driver CPC you need to:

  • Apply for a provisional lorry or bus licence
  • Pass the 4 tests that make up Driver CPC to qualify
  • Take 35 hours of periodic training every 5 years to stay qualified
  • Sign a declaration every 5years until you’re 45 to show you still meet the medical standards
  • Provide a medical report every 5 years after you’re 45 to renew your driving licence - you need to do this every year when you reach 65

NSI – National Standards Instructor

The National Standard for cycle training is built upon similar principles to training for motorcycle riders and car drivers, teaching the importance of assessing the likely risks faced by road users. Launched in 2005, the National Standard was developed by over 20 organisations and is maintained by the Department for Transport (DfT).The National Standard Instructor courses teach individuals to deliver National Standard cycle training.

LGV – Large Goods Vehicle

A large goods vehicle (also heavy goods vehicle, medium goods vehicle, LGV and HGV), is the European Union term for any truck with a gross combination mass (GCM) of over 3,500 kilograms (7,716 lb).

PCV – Passenger Carrying Vehicle

There are various categories of Passenger Carrying Vehicles, from min-buses to large luxury coaches to bendy-buses. There are special licensing arrangements allowing you to drive minibuses and buses without holding the higher Passenger Carrying Vehicle (PCV) driving licence entitlement. Drivers of minibuses having nine to 16 passenger seats will need to hold a PCV licence category D1 or a category D licence to drive larger buses though.


The website of the Fleet Operators Recognition Scheme containing information on registration and accreditation as well as resources for fleet managers, news and FAQs.

The Fleet Operator Recognition Scheme is an accreditation scheme that aims to improve fleet activity throughout the UK and beyond.

FORS is voluntary and open to any company operating a fleet including vans, lorries, mini-buses and coaches.

Transport for London's web site relating to Work Related Road Risk (WRRR) containing tool kits and information of complying to WRRR requirements. 

TfL are responsible for the day-to-day to operation of the Capital's public transport network, managing London's main roads and planning and building new infrastructure.

The Construction LOgistics and Cyclists Safety website, for anyone in construction CLOCS is a commitment to managing road risk in relation to vulnerable road users.  CLOCS brings together the construction logistics industry to help revolutionise the management of work related road risk and embed a road safety culture across the construction logistics industry.

The official government web site for the National Cycle Training Standard, detailing the various levels and providing an overview of training delivery and quality assurance

The Joint Approvals Unit for Periodic Training - JAUPT administrate the application process for Periodic Training (Driver CPC) on behalf of the DVSA in Great Britain and the DVA in Northern Ireland. Their primary focus is to:

  • Process applications for centre and course approval for those who wish to deliver periodic training
  • Regularly audit training centres and courses to ensure that standards and approval criteria are upheld